Setting up SSH tunnel
This guide will show you how to set up ssh tunnel using putty. Guide has mainly been created to provide necessary information to initially set up your PLEX server in case remote access is disabled by default. If this is the case, you will need to access server "locally" to go around and enable remote access from PLEX to use it from other locations
Download putty from here https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe
1. Open putty.
2. Go to Connection -> SSH -> Tunnels.
3. Under "Forwarded ports" edit following.
- Source port 8080
- Tick "Dynamic" box
- Click *Add*
4. Go to Session
- Enter servername in "Host name" field. For example servername.pulsedmedia.com
- Click *Open*
5. Login using your credentials
- Please note that password is not shown when typed. Just type it and hit enter
Once logged in you should have 8080 tunneled to server
Setting up browser
You will need to configure your browser in order to utilize ssh tunnel. These instructions are general and may vary between different browser. Principle is still same.
From browser settings
- Advanced -> network -> connection settings -> configure proxies.
1. Tick "Manual proxy configuration".
2. Enter following details
- Type localhost in SOCKS Host: field.
- Type 8080 in "Port:" field of "SOCKS Host:" field.
3. Click OK/Apply to use settings
Your browser should now be configured to use SSH tunnel. Type "whatsmyip" to google using browser you just made setup and see if IP matches server IP. If so you have successfully set up SSH tunnel via your browser
Closing SSH tunnel
From browser settings Advanced -> network -> connection settings -> configure proxies.
1. Tick "No proxy".
2. Go to your putty and close it